Sunday, December 6, 2009

Draft AL

Dear Governor Linda Lingle
I am a 10th grader at Moanalua High School and I love living in Hawaii. I have been living in Hawaii my whole life (15 years) without problems with the way things were being going with the government. It’s been right on track my whole life.

However, this past year had created some issue for me as a student in Hawaii. This problem is your decision on the furlough Friday. With Hawaii under a standards based grading scale, teachers say to be “require” to teach all of this information by a certain date. Without these Fridays in the school week, I don’t really have enough time to be learning the information into better understanding then I could normally do. I understand that the state doesn’t have enough money to pay the teachers for their services but I feel that the younger generations especially kids in high school need to get a good education to prepare for college or maybe even the “real world”. Keeping these furloughs on Fridays won’t help that one bit.

Although, I do have fun because of no school on Fridays, I still have to say that I am having a little harder time getting the grades I usually have because of these shorter weeks and less time learning in class. I also appreciate your sympathy for the teachers since they can’t get paid why not have days off. But kids are the future and Hawaii should prepare its keiki for a better life.

I hope these furloughs get ended so I can personally prepare myself for college and have a better life.


Sincerely,
Austin Inabata

3 comments:

  1. Hey Austin,

    Good job on your letter. Nice introduction that you have, It sets off with what your complaining about to Linda Lingle. I like how you have a pro and con about the situation you are explaining about. Maybe you could add a little more information about how the furlough fridays are affecting you as a student athlete. But overall you did a every well done job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to give it to them nice and easy then wham lol you give them the bad news. Anyways you could give more examples instead of just saying " Im having a little harder time getting the grades I usually have because of these shorter weeks and less time learning in class" you could include some other examples like the projects you have to do. Also you could go into detail of the state trying to save money but how its not working out since people have to take off work to take care of their children. Since you mentioned your sports you should add how they affect that schedule like shorter pre seasons and such. Other then that keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Austin,

    I agree with Kiana that you could provide more specifics as far as the consequences of furloughs for your learning. Descibe assignments, concepts, classes...that are affected by furloughs.

    I'm not sure why both your teammates bring up sports. I did not see it mentioned in your letter.

    Also, you need to suggest a solution. What might be a good way to help salvage the state's financial situation, as well as get these assignments done?

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete